KATHERINE KERNS VESELY is licensed in both Kentucky and Indiana and has successfully defended healthcare providers and other professionals in high risk cases through trial by jury and appellate practice. Katherine represents clients in matters of complex civil litigation against diverse clientele. More specifically, her practice is centered on defending professional negligence claims against medical professionals of all levels and specialties (including physicians, mid-wives, physician’s assistants, physical therapists, nurses, etc.), dentists, attorneys, land surveyors, and landowners. She also represents hospitals, doctors, long-term care facilities, and nursing homes in lawsuits involving claims of negligence, abuse and neglect, violation of residents’ rights, and wrongful death. Additionally, Katherine has significant experience in appellate practice and has successfully defended cases before all levels of the Kentucky and Indiana appellate courts. She also represents professionals in matters before professional licensure boards in Kentucky and Indiana, including the Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure and the Office of Consumer Protection at the Office of the Indiana Attorney General. Katherine has served as a frequent speaker to groups on various medical and legal topics, including medical review panel legislation and implementation, risk management strategies for hospitals and practice groups, and medical malpractice litigation.
Katherine graduated from Mercer University, magna cum laude, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Spanish. She completed a Masters of Arts Degree in Spanish Literature from Vanderbilt University and, thereafter, served as a Peace Corps Volunteer for two years in Krosno, Poland. Upon her return from service abroad, Katherine earned her Juris Doctorate and graduated cum laude from University of Louisville School of Law.
Katherine and her husband, Bill, enjoy spending time outdoors with their daughter and their black lab.
- Successfully defended healthcare providers and other professionals in high risk cases through trial by jury and appellate practice.
- Diverse client population includes medical professionals of all levels and specialties, hospitals, dentists, chiropractor, attorneys, land surveyors, banking entities, and landowners.
- Practice dedicated exclusively to civil litigation.
Honors and Awards
Kentucky Super Lawyers Rising Star 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Recognized in Louisville Magazine’s Top Lawyers issue, 2016 for Appellate Law
J.D., University of Louisville, cum laude
M.A., Spanish, Vanderbilt University
B.A., Spanish, Mercer University, magna cum laude
Supreme Court of Kentucky
United States District Court for Western District of Kentucky
United States District Court for Eastern District of Kentucky
Supreme Court of Indiana
United States District Court for Northern District of Indiana
United States District Court for Southern District of Indiana
American Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Kentucky Bar Association
Kentucky Defense Counsel, Board of Directors, 2013 – Present
Indiana State Bar Association
Louisville Bar Association
Louis D. Brandeis Inns of Court, 2005-2006
Editor-in-Chief, Brandeis Law Journal, 2005-2006
Publications and Presentations
- ¿Cómo se dice “Qualified”? Statutory Considerations in Improving the Standards and Practices of Court Interpreters in Kentucky, Brandeis Law Journal, 44 Brandeis L.J. 463, 2005-2006. Awarded “Best Note 2005”.
- “Just What the Doctor Ordered – Defense Strategies for Kentucky’s Medical Review Panels” at the 2017 Fall Seminar held by Kentucky Defense Counsel in Lexington, Kentucky.