TRACY PREWITT is a partner who has been with the firm since 1999. She is a trial lawyer who is licensed in both Kentucky and Indiana and her civil practice includes the defense of clients in the areas of professional negligence and tort claims, professional licensure board actions, product liability, general personal injury, and insurance coverage. She received her Bachelor of Science degree, with highest honors, from University of Louisville and her Juris Doctorate, with High Honors, from University of Louisville School of Law. She is consistently named a Kentucky Super Lawyer and has been listed several times as one of the Top 25 Women Attorneys in Kentucky.
Outside of the office, Tracy and her husband Lorne, enjoy participating in family activities with their three children and grandchildren, participating in international mission trips and traveling.
- Attorney/Partner– O’Bryan, Brown & Toner, Louisville, Kentucky, April 1999 – current
- Insurance defense litigation including cases involving matters of professional negligence, and tort claims, product liability, general personal injury and insurance coverage.
- Assistant General Counsel – Paradigm Insurance Co., Louisville, Kentucky, November 1997 – March 1999 Addressed corporate legal issues for 34 state surplus lines carrier and managed outside defense and coverage counsel for litigated claims.
- Attorney at law – Ogden, Newell, & Welch, Louisville, Kentucky, August, 1990 – November, 1997
- Insurance defense litigation including cases involving matters of professional negligence, tort claims, product liability and general personal injury, commercial litigation including matters involving utility law and health law, and issues concerning insurance coverage.
Honors and Awards
AV Preeminent® Peer review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
American College of Trial Lawyers-Fellow
Litigation Counsel of America, Senior Fellow
- Invitation-only trial lawyer honorary society consisting of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers.
Kentucky Super Lawyers®, 2007-2022
Recognized in Kentucky Super Lawyers®
- Top 25 Women Kentucky Super Lawyers 2010, 2017, 2018-2022
- Top 50 Attorneys in Kentucky 2019-2022
The Best Lawyers in America© 2012-2022
Recognized in Best Lawyers in America© for work in the following areas:
- Insurance Law
- Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants
- Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants
Named Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America©:
- Insurance Law (Louisville 2021)
- Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants (Louisville 2013)
Louisville Magazine’s Best Lawyer and Top Lawyer, 2006-2016
- Medical Malpractice-defense
- Personal Injury
Kentucky Monthly: Top 25 Women Attorneys in Kentucky, Super Lawyers Section, 2010, 2017
Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel, Member
J.D. University of Louisville, High Honors, Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Family Law, Brandeis Honor Society, Dean’s List
B.A. University of Louisville, Highest Honors
Supreme Court of Kentucky
Supreme Court of Indiana
United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky
Southern and Northern Districts of Indiana
United States Board of Claims
Litigation Counsel of America
Kentucky Bar Association
Louisville Bar Association (Director, 2000-2001)
Indiana Bar Association
KBA Committee on Professionalism
KBA House of Delegates (3 terms)
Defense Resource Institute
Jefferson County Medical/Legal Committee
Marketing Association (President, 1998)
Tracy S. Prewitt, JD and John T. Ballantine, JD (2002). “Deposition – Pre-trial – trial.” In Joseph S. Sanfilippo, MD, MBA and Clayton L. Robinson, JD (Eds.), The Risk Management Handbook for Healthcare Professionals (pp. 237-246). New York: The Parthenon Publishing Group Inc.; “Adverse Peer Review – Damage Control in the Malpractice Setting” (with Beth H. McMasters), For the Defense, (Feb. 2000); “Justice Stephens – Jurisprudence Measured by Dissent” (with Gerald R. Toner), Bench & Bar, Vol. 63, Number 4 (July, 1999); “Bowen v Kendrick & – The Constitutionality of the Adolescent Family Life Act – Has Court Given us a Lemon?”; 28 Journal of Family Law 87 (1989).